Prep Time: 10 | Cook Time: 10 | Total Time: 20 minutes
Looking for a healthier version of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies you can make at home? Look no further! These vegan mint matcha chocolate-chip cookies will surely do the trick. Warning: These cookies can be downright addictive!
Why Bake with Matcha Powder?
Matcha tea powder isn't just for enjoying your morning cup of matcha or afternoon latte - it's also an amazingly dynamic ingredient to use in baking recipes.
In baking, there are a couple of different reasons why you might consider using matcha powder in your baking recipes. For example:
- A natural coloring agent: Want to add a pop of color to your recipes but looking to avoid using artificial colors? High-quality culinary matcha can do wonders even in small amounts.
- The depth of taste: If you already enjoy the sweet, fresh taste of matcha in the morning, then you will surely lovely the earthy undertone in your baked goods as well! It's an incredibly versatile flavor profile to cook with—from sweet baking recipes to savory ones.
- Health Benefits: Oh, and then we can't leave out the scientifically-backed long list of health benefits matcha has. It's always nice to add a healthy ingredient to a baking recipe that can make you feel extra good about enjoying a sweet treat every now and then.
Ingredients you will need to make 8-10 cookies
- 1 "flax egg" (1 tbsp ground flax + 2.5 tbsp water)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond butter (or sub other nut butter)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp mint extract
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Can I make any substitutes for this recipe?
- We recommend not substituting the flours. These flours will maximize the flavor and matcha powder coloring, giving you eye-popping green cookies.
- Don't have coconut sugar? Don't worry. You can use brown sugar instead.
- Maple syrup can be swapped out for honey, though keep in mind then this recipe is no longer vegan.
DIRECTIONS ON MAKING AND BAKING YOUR MATCHA MINT COOKIES:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F degrees (176°C
- Make your flax egg by combining your water and flax. Let it set in the refrigerator for 10-30 minutes.
- Mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together wet ingredients.
- Pour in dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Lastly, add your flax egg and mix until just combined. We prefer to use hands to really combine the dough well.
- Using an ice cream scooper or a small handful of dough, evenly distribute dough onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for at least 10 minutes and then enjoy!
Tips and Things to keep in mind when making these vegan mint matcha cookies:
Since this cookie batter is vegan, you and your kids can feel free to taste and enjoy it as you go — adjusting the flavors to your own tastebuds.
These cookies won’t brown so much in the oven. They will cool as they firm, so be sure to let them cool completely before handling them and moving them off of your baking tray.
If you are a huge chocolate lover, you can also dip these cookies in chocolate or drizzle some melted chocolate on top to bring these over the edge.
Before handing the cookie dough place the cookies on your baking sheet try wetting your fingers — so that the cookie dough won’t stick to your fingers.
Your dough may seem crumbly at first — but we promise it will all come together to create a shortbread cookie-like batter. Just keep mixing and churning!
Check out more of our savory and sweet recipes using matcha
This recipe is By Kristi from Avocado Skillet.
This mint matcha cookie recipe is from our collaborator, Kristi, the founder of Avocado Skillet – where you can find countless delicious, easy, and unique healthy plant-based recipes. Whenever Kristi throws matcha into the mix of any recipe, she always opts for Matcha Kari matcha. So we wanted to share the love back with her by featuring some of her amazing recipes here with you!
One of Kristi's favorite ways to enjoy matcha is by baking with it!.