This chocolate chip matcha bread is everything you want it to be. It’s sweet, fluffy, moist and has a slight earthy taste from the matcha. It can make for a delicious sweet treat in the afternoon or can easily shift to being more of a cake by some adding frosting. Trust us- this bread tastes absolutely scrumptious.
If you are new to baking with matcha, this is a perfect recipe to start with.
This matcha bread is simple to make. Which is ideal since it’ll disappear fast! It’s incredibly versatile and can even make for a great breakfast on-the-go.
How to make:
We used a hand-held electric mixer, but you can easily use a stand mixer or even whisk by hand. No fancy equipment or ingredients required here!
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in vanilla and eggs. Be careful not to overmix!
- In a separate bowl, combine, flour, sugar, matcha, baking soda and salt. Add to batter.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a prepared loaf pan and bake.
- If desired, make frosting while baking and spread over cooled bread.
- To add more fiber, swap whole wheat flour for all-purpose
- Replace sugar with maple syrup or honey.
- Reduce sugar to ½ cup to decrease overall sweetness.
- Replace 1 tbsp of flour for 1 tbsp ground flax of chia seed.
While we loved this bread as is, if you are looking to turn this into a cake, all you need to do is whip up a simple vanilla frosting and voila! Sprinkle a touch of matcha over the frosting and you are left with a beautiful and delectable dessert that will delight your guests.
- Be sure not to overmix your batter. Whisk just until combined.
- Starting checking on your bread about 5 minutes before the timer goes off. Remove from the oven as soon as a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Spoon your flour into the measuring cup and gently scrape away any excess with the back of a butter knife. Too much flour will leave you with dense, dry bread.
- You can freeze any uneaten matcha bread. When ready to eat, cut a slice and pop in the toaster for a few minutes.
- Always sift matcha before using. Un-sifted matcha has a tendency to clump- not something we want! Culinary grade matcha is ideal for this bread.
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3 tsp matcha
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Sprinkle of matcha
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a bread loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat until just combined. Be cautious not to over mix your batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, matcha, salt and baking soda. Add to batter.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let rest for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Optional: If desired make frosting while bread cooks. In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat powdered sugar, melted butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Spread over cooled bread.