Anyone with or without a sweet tooth knows a cheesecake when they see one. It is a classic dessert and has become iconic on its own. Whether you prefer a New York-style cheesecake, a Burnt Basque cheesecake or even the more adventurous flavors like blueberry and oreo, there's no denying that this dessert is a crowd-pleaser.
Sure, the original flavor is comforting and will never get old, but here at Matcha.com, we always like to switch things up! We like to take classic recipes and add complexity in its flavors with just one ingredient—yup, it's matcha.
Matcha tastes umami, sweet, and earthy. And by adding matcha powder to a basque cheesecake recipe, you can easily elevate the flavor profile. To simply put, it's the effortless way to dress it up!
Ingredients you will need for your smooth & creamy matcha basque burnt cheesecake
Crust ingredeint for your matcha basque cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Filling for your creamy matcha basque style cheesecake
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1/4 cup water
Steps to make a umami matcha cheesecake at home:
- Before you prepare anything, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, the brown and white sugar, and melted butter until combined.
- Bring out a square pan, and transfer the graham mixture. Press the mixture onto the bottom, making sure it's compact and evenly spread.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Set aside.
- Sift the matcha powder into a bowl to remove the clumps. Then, add water and whisk until fully integrated.
- Pour the matcha mix into the large mixing bowl, and beat just until combined.
- Add in the cup of sugar and beat until combined. Make sure to not overbeat!
- Mix in the vanilla extract, heavy cream, and eggs, and beat until blended.
- Pour the mixture onto the crust in the pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in the oven or until the center is almost set. You can check using a toothpick. It's ready when no mixture sticks to the toothpick.
- Turn off the oven, and leave the cheesecake in the oven for another 10-15 minutes to continue cooking.
- Remove from the oven, and let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve, add choice of toppings like whipped cream and berry compote if preferred. Enjoy!
View this post on Instagram
The bottom line | Try making a matcha basque cheesecake at home!
Adding matcha to a Basque-style cheesecake can be a creative and flavorful twist on the traditional recipe. Here are a few reasons why someone might choose to incorporate matcha into a Basque-style cheesecake:
Unique Flavor: Matcha is a finely ground green tea powder that has a distinct and slightly bitter taste. By adding matcha to the cheesecake batter, you introduce a subtle earthy and grassy flavor that can complement the richness of the cream cheese.
Vibrant Green Color: Matcha powder imparts a vibrant green color to anything it is added to and has been proven to spark joy! Incorporating matcha into the Basque-style cheesecake can give it an eye-catching and visually appealing appearance, making it an attractive dessert option.
Health Benefits: Matcha is known for its potential health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants and contains beneficial compounds that may boost metabolism, improve focus, and promote relaxation. By incorporating matcha into the cheesecake, you can add a touch of nutritional value to the dessert.
Culinary Experimentation: Chefs and home bakers often enjoy experimenting with flavors and ingredients to create unique culinary experiences. Adding matcha to a Basque-style cheesecake allows for creativity and innovation, giving the dessert a distinctive twist and surprising the taste buds.
Overall, incorporating matcha into a Basque-style cheesecake can enhance the flavor profile, add visual appeal, provide potential health benefits, and allow for culinary exploration and experimentation. It offers a dynamic combination of traditional Basque flavors with the unique characteristics of matcha!