Forget the debate between waffles and pancakes. This is for the people on Team French Toast!
Together with Cafe Cindy, we took the classic old recipe and matcha-fied it to make the perfect sweet breakfast treat but still with a dash of umami savory.
The mix of the sweet condensed milk and the umami-packed matcha will make a flavorful spread in the middle. The toast will be coated with butter, adding a salty contrast to the overall sweetness, then it will be soaked in milk while cooking to bring this pillowy soft and fluffy texture. Mmmm... That's a lot of flavors in one bite!
It is so easy and quick to prepare, and you only need five main ingredients! It requires no egg, and you're always free to make swaps to make the recipe vegan-friendly.
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 4 slices of bread
- softened butter
- 1 cup of milk
- slice of fruits (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- maple syrup
- Sift the matcha powder in a small bowl, then add the condensed milk. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Spread the condensed milk-matcha onto one face of the bread, and cover with another slice.
- Cover both outside faces of the bread generously with butter.
- Prepare a pan over low heat.
- Place matcha-milk sandwich on pan. Then, pour 1/4 cup of milk into the pan. Wait 3 minutes or until golden.
- Flip it over. Pour another 1/4 cup of milk. Wait 3 minutes until golden.
- Repeat the same steps for the other sandwich.
- Finish it off with whipped cream and choice of sliced fruits; sprinkle some matcha powder; and drizzle with maple syrup!
Watch how @cafe.cindy makes it below: