When it comes to homemade cookies, there’s just something about the classics—like a warm, gooey chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. But since it’s fall, let’s have a bit of fun. Our turmeric spiced oatmeal cookie recipe is everything you’d want out of a pumpkin spiced cookie but BETTER.
It’s a delightful fusion of flavors that will have you dancing with joy and immediately making another batch. Imagine the warmth of cinnamon, earthy notes of nutmeg and the golden glow of turmeric all coming together in a single incredible, melt in your mouth cookie. This turmeric spiced oatmeal cookie is THE perfect cookie to celebrate the fall season and all its warmth.
What is turmeric powder and its health benefits?
Turmeric, often dubbed the “golden spice” is well-known for it’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Fermented turmeric powder is much more bioavailable and works perfectly in this recipe.
Turmeric is not only known for its vibrant color and distinct flavor, but it also offers numerous health benefits. This powerful spice contains a compound called curcumin, which has been studied for its potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It is believed to have a positive impact on various health conditions, including arthritis, heart disease, and even certain types of cancer.
You can read up more about turmeric and its health benefits here.
Can I bake with turmeric powder?
In addition to its potential health benefits, turmeric adds a warm and earthy flavor to dishes. It pairs well with a variety of ingredients, making it a versatile spice in the kitchen. From curries and stews to smoothies and baked goods, turmeric can be incorporated into a wide range of recipes to add both flavor and color.
When using turmeric in your cooking, it's important to note that its flavor can be quite strong. It's best to start with small amounts and adjust to your taste preferences. Additionally, combining turmeric with black pepper can enhance its absorption and maximize its potential health benefits. Although fermented turmeric is more bioavailable, so black pepper won't be needed!
So, whether you're intrigued by its health properties or simply looking to add a unique flavor to your recipes, turmeric is a fantastic spice to experiment with. Give it a try in these turmeric spiced oatmeal cookies and discover a whole new level of deliciousness!
Tips before baking your turmeric cookies:
- Oatmeal cookies are notorious for spreading. Chilling the dough beforehand helps the cookies spread less. But it is optional if you’re in a hurry. Another tip to prevent spreading is to make tall cookie dough balls rather than perfectly round ones. Aim for an oblong shape!
- If you are making multiple batches of cookies, let the baking sheet cool down first. Placing cookie dough balls on a hot cookie sheet can lead to spreading.
- Make sure you’re using room temperature butter. If you need to microwave it, avoid heating it until it’s completely liquid.
- Do not over bake or your cookies will be too crispy! Look for the edges to just barely start browning then remove from oven.
- Make sure to measure your flour correctly. Spoon flour into a measuring cup then level off with a butter knife.
- Be sure to use rolled oats. Other types of oats will not soften up correctly.
Turmeric Spiced Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Yields: 24 small cookies or 12 large ones
Turmeric Spiced Oatmeal Cookie Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp Okinawan Fermented Turmeric Tea Powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Turmeric Spiced Oatmeal Cookie Recipe Directions:
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and add in vanilla and egg.
- Add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready, preheat oven to 375∞
- Use a small ice cream scooper or a spoon to drop heaping tablespoon-sized cookie dough balls onto baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown on the edges but still soft in the center. About 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cook on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
These turmeric spiced oatmeal cookies are the perfect fall treat. Whether you savor them as a snack or have them for dessert, you’ll appreciate their unique flavor profile and delicious taste. So go ahead and whip up a batch and let us know what you think!
- How do we create our Matcha? Read more here
- See more of our Matcha informational blogs
- Get to learn more Matcha recipes
- Create your own Matcha business here