Whether you’re plant based or you’ve just run out of eggs (guilt!), we’ve got you covered with this delicious vegan matcha banana bread. With its moist texture, rich flavor, and nostalgic charm reminiscent of your grandma’s childhood recipe, this bread is sure to become a new favorite in your kitchen.
No need to fuss with fancy egg substitutes; bananas work like a charm, infusing the bread with extra flavor and moisture. It’s a win-win situation: great taste and simplicity all rolled into one delightful loaf.
We love to slather each slice with creamy peanut butter, drizzle a touch of honey, or spread some plant-based butter for a heavenly combination of flavors. Trust us when we say this bread makes the PERFECT snack or to share with friends and family during gatherings.
List of ingredients in this vegan matcha banana bread (exact measurements are found below)
- Bananas: You’ll want four RIPE bananas for this recipe. Bananas help to sweeten this bread up and act as an egg replacement. Don’t be afraid of brown spots on your bananas! The riper, the better.
- Avocado Oil: This gives the bread the perfect amount of moisture and richness. You can always swap this out for coconut oil, vegan butter, or even olive oil. But we love the healthy fats and neutral taste avocado oil provides.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar gives the most delicious hint of molasses flavor. You are always welcome to swap with regular sugar if that’s what you have on hand or even coconut sugar.
- Matcha: We used culinary grade matcha here. Culinary grade has a slightly stronger flavor which works well in recipes! Be sure to sift your matcha before adding it to the flour to avoid and clumps.
- Dairy Free Milk: Only a few tablespoons required here! Pick the one you like the most.
- Flour: We used good old all-purpose flour in this recipe. You can also use whole wheat flour or swap for a gluten free flour. Although if you make a substitute, you may have to play around with proportions a bit!
- Unsweetened Applesauce: The perfect addition to make sure you have a truly moist matcha bread!
- Staples: Cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla extract, salt. Necessary for a good banana matcha bread!
Why matcha is the perfect addition to banana bread
Adding matcha into our vegan matcha banana bread not only gives it a beautiful natural color, but also infuses the loaf with a delightful and elevated medley of flavors. Matcha’s unique tasting notes take the traditional banana bread experience to a delightful new level. Prepare to relish this matcha-infused treat!
Recommended tools you need for this recipe:
- 9x5 inch loaf pan
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowls
Our Vegan Matcha Banana Bread is a delightful fusion of flavors and wholesome goodness. The combination of matcha, with its earthy, umami, and grassy tasting notes combined with the natural sweetness of ripe bananas offers a satisfying and delicious snack.
Ingredients you need for your vegan matcha banana bread:
4 very ripe bananas
½ cup avocado oil
½ cup brown sugar
½ tbsp vanilla
½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 tbsp milk of choice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp matcha
½ tsp salt
Optional: Chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips
Directions to make vegan matcha banana bread:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. You can alternatively line with parchment paper and grease the inside.
In a large bowl, mash bananas with the back of a fork. Add avocado oil, brown sugar, vanilla, apple sauce, and milk of choice. Mix until well combined.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, matcha, and salt.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix- some banana lumps are ok!
Add banana bread batter into prepared pan. Top with walnuts or chocolate chips if desired. Bake for ~35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The bottom line:
This vegan matcha banana bread is incredibly easy to make and requires just a handful of simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand. The magic of this recipe lies in the natural sweetness and binding power of ripe bananas, which effortlessly take on the role of egg replacement.
You may also like:
Check out more recipes using matcha here!