More vegan recipes coming your way because we know it's not always an iced matcha latte kind of day. Some days feel gloomy and gray, and you just want a cozy and comforting drink. Count on matcha to be just that!
Matcha as a mood-boosting drink
Enjoying a warm cup of matcha in peace is calming, we have no doubt, but did you know there's more science to it?
Matcha is high in l-theanine, the amino acid responsible for the relaxing effect after you drink your tea. It is this same compound that possesses mood-boosting properties that could improve how you feel. L-theanine may increase the levels of dopamine and seratonin, aka the happy hormones, while also decreasing the level of cortisol, aka the stress hormone.
So the next time you're feeling blue, perhaps a cup of matcha could do the trick? Here's a vegan version of a warm matcha latte.
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 pitted medjtool dates
- ice cubes
- Pour the almond milk in a deep pan with the medjtool dates, and heat over low heat for 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Transfer the milk and dates in a blender. Blend until fully liquid.
- Sift the matcha powder in a bowl to remove the clumps. Add the water, and whisk until powder and water are fully incorporated.
- Pour the date-sweetened almond milk in a cup.
- Pour the matcha, and enjoy!
Check out our other vegan matcha latte recipes!