It's that time of year — pumpkin spice season! So of course we've whipped up some recipes combining pumpkin and matcha.
Our spice pumpkin matcha recipe combines two of our favorite flavors for an antioxidant-packed, naturally sweetened drink that's a cozy choice for the fall and winter seasons. This spice pumpkin latte can be made in 6 minutes or less, giving you a boost of energy without the jitters that normally come with a cup of coffee.
Keep reading below for a healthy and easy pumpkin spice matcha latte recipe.
It’s easier than you’d think, and that’s why below we offer a delicious Matcha Pumpkin Latte recipe – one which happily trades those conventional black coffee beans for the naturally more elegant, vibrant emerald green matcha powder.
And though some of the latest exotic matcha drinks wouldn’t easily make the transition to coffee (e.g. Strawberry Matcha Pink Drink), it’s fortunate the reverse how virtually any café style drink can be prepared with matcha; it’s healthier for you that way too!
The list goes on, but here’s some examples:
List of Types of Matcha Drinks
- Matcha Americano
- Matcha Frappe
- Matcha Macchiato
- Matcha Cappuccino
- Iced Matcha Lattes
- Iced Matcha Cold Brew
Nevertheless – as we creep into the holiday season it’s only fair that this Spiced Matcha Pumpkin Latte gets some of the love it deserves. Give it a try?
Spiced Pumpkin Latte with Matcha | At-home Recipe
The extra spices help make your matcha healthier, and the pumpkin puree may fortify this matcha delight with added vitamin A.
Also, the option to make your cashew milk homemade (or preferred non-dairy milk, bonus recipe below) is a great way to keep your latte fresh and to offer extra nutrition to the already vitamin rich green matcha powder.
Perhaps best of all, you can skip out on the matcha at Starbucks ® or Dunkin Donuts ®; these coffee chains tend to use matcha that is pre-sweetened with added sugar so as to hide the less-healthful, low-quality matcha inside.
- 1 tsp Matcha Latte Powder
- 1/4 cup hot water (~175F)
- 1 cup cashew milk (optional homemade, recipe below) or your milk or choice
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp blended pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp pumpkin puree (optional)
- Dash of nutmeg & cinnamon to taste
DIRECTIONS | Time: 6 minutes
- Sift matcha powder into a dry bowl.
- Heat water to a simmer in a pan, let sit for about 15-20seconds.
- Pour hot water with the matcha powder and begin whisking (try bamboo whisk or electric milk frother) until a layer of frother is created.
- Pour matcha into a latte mug (or similar) and set aside.
- In a separate pan or shallow pot, combine other ingredients (milk, vanilla, spices, pumpkin puree) and mix, let simmer while stirring.
- Use whisk or frother to froth the milk mixture until a soft foam is achieved; alternatively use a blender.
- Pour mixture slowly over the matcha that you set aside.
- Now you may either stir, or let the Pumpkin Matcha Latte settle on its own as it creates colorful green swirls.
- Finish by adding dashes of powder spice to taste (or extra matcha).
*Bonus* Cashew Milk - Homemade Recipe for Pumpkin Matcha Latte
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups of water
- pinch of salt & cinnamon (recommended)
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract (recommended)
Directions | Prep: 6min total
Place cashews in a large bowl and add water. Waiting at least 4 hours (may also leave overnight), drain the water and blend with 1½ cups of fresh water; while blending add other ingredients.
Once blended smooth, strain with cheesecloth or fine mesh. Use right away in your Spiced Matcha Pumpkin Latte – or place air-tight in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Matcha for the Holidays | Matcha Lattes, Matcha Love
And hey, even if you’re not looking for an alternative to coffee lattes, we still have you covered with yummy matcha recipes and many other interesting takes on conventional café style preparations – especially those limited-time holiday drinks – now you can have them all year!
Ultimately, with matcha you can have the best of both worlds, OR you can jump ‘head-first’ into the matcha life. We like to think the Pumpkin Matcha Latte above is a tasteful example of how versatile (and healthy!) matcha can be.
This post and recipe is By Diana Weil, Matcha.com's Integrative Nutritionist and Food Relationship Specialist.
– Team Matcha.com