There's nothing quite like a healthy dessert easily enjoyed with a spoon. This hojicha pudding recipe is straightforward to make and has no added sugars, giving you a perfectly balanced roasted green tea pudding dessert that's rich and creamy.
Ready to jump into this hojicha dessert recipe?
Homemade Hojicha Pudding Recipe
This recipe yields six individual servings, but you can easily double or triple this recipe to make larger batches of hojicha pudding for special occasions and get-togethers.
Hojicha Pudding Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp organic roasted hojicha powder
- ½ cup warm whole milk
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder
- ¼ cup water
Hojicha Pudding Recipe Directions:
- Sift hojicha in a bowl and add warm milk.
- Whisk and then add sweetened condensed milk.
- Whisk again and set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin powder in water and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and heavy cream.
- Stir and pour in the hojicha mixture.
- Stir and cook on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and add in the gelatin powder.
- Mix and strain in a cup with a spout.
- Pour into cups/glasses and let it chill in the fridge until set.
- Decorate with whipped cream and a choice of toppings, and enjoy.
We love enjoying this homemade hojicha pudding as a healthy snack. It can also be a yummy filling for cream puffs and cakes.
4 Tips for making the perfect hojicha pudding:
- Use high-quality hojicha green tea roasted powder to ensure it will be lump-free.
- Your dry ingredients should be dissolved in a small amount of liquid as prescribed in the recipe so that the final result will have a silky texture that isn't gritty or lumpy.
- Constantly stir your pudding to ensure it thickens evenly while cooking on medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Use whole milk in your recipe for optimum results, but also feel free to try this recipe with dairy-free options or lactose-free milk.
What is hojicha? How hojicha adds a healthy twist to your recipes
Unlike the traditional matcha green tea, hojicha is roasted after the leaves are steamed.
This process gives it an alluring reddish-brown color and a rich, toasty flavor with nutty and chocolatey notes. The roasting process of hojicha also significantly reduces caffeine, making it a perfect snack to enjoy any time of the day!
Hojicha's health benefits may vary from that of matcha green tea, but all in all, it's definitely still good for you! It is rich in catechins, which help boost metabolism and aid in weight loss. It's also known to promote heart health, reduce cholesterol levels, and stabilize blood sugar levels.
Different hojicha desserts to try at home
Now, let's talk more about hojicha desserts. The robust, earthy flavor of hojicha makes it an excellent ingredient in various desserts, from hojicha ice cream to hojicha latte and, of course, our star of the day–hojicha pudding. A whole world of hojicha desserts is waiting to be discovered by you!
We're sharing our favorite recipe for a sweet and easy hojicha pudding. This silky, creamy dessert will satisfy your sweet tooth, but the rich, nutty flavor of hojicha gives it a sophisticated edge that keeps it from being overly sweet. Plus, it's pretty simple to make, with no baking required!
The bottom line: Start experimenting in the kitchen with hojicha!
Next time you're in the mood for a slightly out-of-the-ordinary dessert, why not give this hojicha pudding recipe a go? It's the perfect ending to any meal or a luxurious treat that can be enjoyed anytime. And don't forget, the key to an excellent hojicha dessert is the quality of your hojicha, so make sure to use the best you can find—which is right here!
More hojicha tea at Matcha.com
Like our matcha tea, you can also consume hojicha in various forms. While the hojicha powder is the most popular, we also carry hojicha loose-leaf tea and hojicha tea bags. Freshly harvested from Uji, Japan, these more traditional methods of taking hojicha tea will give you a more authentic and enjoyable experience.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to tag us on Instagram @Matchakari.