We’re confident you’re going to LOVE this vegan matcha ice cream. It’s smooth, creamy, rich and the best frozen treat. Combining matcha, chocolate, almond butter, and plant-based milk is a match made in dessert heaven! Whether you’re plant-based or cutting back on dairy, this vegan ice cream is sure to be a hit. In fact, when we made it, it was gone so fast it was hard to snap a photo.
This recipe takes the classic flavors of almonds and chocolate, and transforms them into a luscious ice cream that’s both refreshing and satisfying. Chocolate, matcha and almond is the combo you never knew you needed. With the added touch of honey, this frozen treat is a symphony of sweet, nutty and earthy notes that will have you craving more.
A healthy matcha ice cream
Right now you might be wondering, “Is matcha green tea ice cream healthy?” Well, you’ve come to the right place, because we’ve churned out (pun intended!) a balanced cool sweet treat that you can easily prepare at home. In using matcha with plant-based milk, this vegan matcha recipe is sure to bring in guiltless enjoyment to your ice cream cravings.
Plant-based or non-dairy milks work better with matcha powder than dairy does. So, this makes for the perfect combo! Almond milk can be a healthier alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or follow a vegan diet. Plant-based milks also carry important vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin D and calcium. However, it's important to check the label to ensure that the milk is not high in added sugars or other additives.
What’s more, almond butter can also be a healthy addition to a balanced diet. It is high in healthy fats, protein, and fiber, and also contains important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, magnesium, and calcium. However, it is also high in calories, so it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet, as this goes with any food.
To top it all off, matcha is our superfood and superhero ingredient that binds good health and good taste in this recipe. It provides us with a balance and calming energy, while at the same time, indulging our taste buds with a comforting and earthy flavor. This chocolate matcha almond butter ice cream really tastes just as good as it sounds!
How to make matcha ice cream
While this recipe calls for an ice cream maker, don’t fret if you don’t have one. You can still enjoy this treat! Follow the directions below, using a blender to combine all ingredients. Pour mixture into ice cube trays then freeze. Once frozen, add frozen cubes back to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You can enjoy it as is or refreeze for about an hour for a firmer texture.
With only 5 ingredients it’s also incredible easy and quick to whip up.
Matcha Ice Cream Tips:
- If you don’t have chocolate matcha, make your own using 3 teaspoons matcha powder and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Because this ice cream doesn’t contain any gums or additives it’s best enjoyed day of. While you can freeze for up to 3 months, it will most likely develop ice crystals.
- Adjust flavors as needed! You can increase or decrease sweetener or add more almond butter for a stronger flavor.
- Swap maple syrup for honey if you’d like.
Chocolate Matcha Almond Butter Ice Cream Recipe
Chocolate Matcha Almond Butter Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 2 cups almond milk
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 heaping teaspoons chocolate matcha powder
Chocolate Matcha Almond Butter Ice Cream Directions:
- In a high-speed blender, combine almond milk, almond butter, vanilla, honey and matcha. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed. Ensure there are no lumps and that the mixture is uniform.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Eat immediately or freeze for an hour for a firmer texture.
- Optional: Sprinkle a bit of extra chocolate matcha powder or shaved chocolate on top before serving.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, see directions above.
Get ready to elevate your dessert game with this delicious creamy Chocolate Matcha Almond Ice Cream. Whether enjoyed on a hot summer’s day or as an evening treat, this ice cream will keep you coming back for scoop after delicious scoop.
More matcha recipes:
If you loved this recipe just as much as we did and are looking for more vegan matcha recipes or matcha ice cream recipes to try at home, check out these recipes and try your hand at them in your own home kitchen:
- Vegan Matcha Latte: Date-sweetened Almond Milk Latte
- Easy Matcha Protein Bar Recipe | Vegan & Guilt-free
- Creamy, Dreamy & Vegan Cashew Matcha Ice Cream
- Creamy and Luscious Matcha Cookies and Cream Ice Cream | No Fancy Equipment Needed!
- How do we create our Matcha? Read more here
- See more of our Matcha informational blogs
- Get to learn more Matcha recipes
- Create your own Matcha business here