The beautiful thing about matcha is that you can take it, put it into any classic dessert recipe, and it’ll work—and taste even better! This time around, we took on the challenge of creating the perfect matcha brownie, and came out of the kitchen victorious.
The Perfect Brownie Recipe
Before taking on the recipe of a perfect matcha brownie, we made sure to create a perfect brownie base recipe first. Although you do have the option to add matcha powder to a classic brownie recipe, we wanted to create a recipe that really revolved around the flavor of matcha, so that it isn’t overpowered by other ingredients, such as chocolate. Toss that brownie mix aside, and make it from scratch for a better taste.
The matcha brownie we created is equal amounts of sweet, moist, and rich. It gives you the soft and light mouthfeel that leaves you wanting more, instead of leaving you heavy right away. Each bite has the perfect amount of chew and matcha flavor. Now, here’s how to make it:
Matcha Brownie Ingredients:
- 112 g unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp matcha
Matcha Brownie Recipe:
- Sift in all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, cornstarch, and matcha) into one bowl. Sifting will avoid clumps, and
- In a separate bigger bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugars until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract. Make sure not to over-beat the batter.
- Add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl in two parts. Mix together until a homogenous mixture is created.
- Pour the brownie batter into a lined 8x8 pan. Even it out so that it bakes evenly.
- Place it in a pre-heated oven at 350C. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool.
- Cut your matcha brownies into 8 squares, and dig right in!
More Matcha, More Brownies
Adding in more matcha to the recipe is highly recommended! It’ll definitely give this brownie a much more enhanced matcha green tea flavor, but more so, highlight the benefits of our favorite Japanese matcha too.
Aside from this just being another great dessert we get to treat ourselves to, incorporating matcha powder also gives in added healthful benefits to our bodies. It’s a mood booster that helps us better focus, without the jitters that coffee gives us. Eating a brownie as a pre-workout treat may help thanks to the sugar and matcha it contains, since it is also shown to optimize workouts.
You can read more on the many matcha benefits here.
To get the best results out of the brownie and the matcha, it’s best to use our favorite high quality Japanese matcha here at matcha.com. We highly recommend baking these sweet treats with our Culinary Grade Matcha. You can also try using our Single Estate Matcha in this recipe. Now if you want to play around with matcha and other flavors, you can also try using our flavored matchas such as Vanilla, Chocolate, or Mango. It’s always fun to play around!
Now if you’re looking for an easier sweet treat to accompany your workout routine, our Vegan Matcha Protein Bar Recipe requires no baking, but still gives you the healthful satisfaction of a matcha treat.
The bottomline: matcha mixes well with the classics
Matcha just makes everything better! It’s always fun to take something classic, and add a matcha twist to it. There’s no harm in playing around in the kitchen with matcha, especially knowing how good it is for us too. So get to baking our matcha brownies so you can get to eating ‘em sooner!