Matcha chocolate bombs are a fun and impressive way to make any drink a bit more dazzling. We promise you don’t need to be a kid to partake in the enjoyment either. These matcha hot chocolate bombs make for a surprisingly easy DIY project that can lighten up any gloomy winter day. Plus, the flavors are absolutely unmatched. White chocolate and matcha shells are dropped into a creamy matcha latte for the perfect indulgent combo.
What are chocolate bombs?
Chocolate bombs have been all the rage lately, and for good reason. They are small chocolate spheres often filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. But when dropped in hot milk or water, they melt, releasing the cocoa mix inside and creating a tasty concoction. Our version of a hot chocolate bomb is obviously made with matcha instead! Leaving you with a creamy, silkily smooth, white matcha hot chocolate. Truly can you think of anything better?
Curious if dairy impacts matcha's nutrients? Learn more here.
What to do if you don’t have a chocolate mold?
Chocolate bombs may sound intimidating, but with just a few minutes and a bit of patience we promise it’s something even someone new to matcha or baking can make. Chocolate bombs are easiest if made using a silicone molds, but if you don’t have one of those laying around it’s ok. You can also use paper cupcake liners! Simply add 1 tablespoon of chocolate into each cupcake liner and use a brush to coat the bottom and sides. Let sit until chocolate has hardened, then brush with about another teaspoon of chocolate. Let sit until completely hardened.
How to make a full sphere
In order to make a full sphere, remove the chocolate from your mold or cupcake liner and add your matcha filling. Place in a cupcake liner or small ceramic bowl. Drizzle a bit of chocolate on the rim of the unfilled chocolate shell then top each matcha-filled shell with a coated, unfilled shell to form a sphere. Use the back of a spoon to gently smooth chocolate over the edges to completely enclose it.
Keep reading to find out how to make these delicious matcha chocolate bombs or watch our video!
Yields: 6 Chocolate bombs
Ingredients for your matcha chocolate bombs
Matcha chocolate shell
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 2 tsp matcha
- 4 tbsp Matcha Latte Mix or 3 tbsp Creamer or Milk Powder
- 1 tbsp matcha
Filling and drink base
- Mini Marshmallows
- 1 cup Hot Milk (per serving)
Step by step directions
- Melt the white chocolate using a microwave or double boiler. Sift and add in matcha powder, then mix.
- Pour a tablespoon of chocolate into the mold. Evenly spread the chocolate using the back of the spoon. Let it chill in the fridge to slightly harden.
- Coat with another half tablespoon and evenly spread. Let it sit in the fridge until fully set.
- To make the matcha mix, combine creamer or milk powder and matcha. Add sweetener if desired.
- Take the chocolate out of the mold and transfer it into a mini cupcake liner.
- Fill them with the matcha mix and mini marshmallows.
- Cover and seal the sides with more chocolate.
- Optionally, drizzle with white chocolate and decorate with sprinkles. Let it sit in the fridge until set.
- Pour hot milk into a mug and add the chocolate bomb.
Stir and enjoy!
How to store your matcha chocolate bombs
Chocolate bombs are best used right away or within 24 hours. But they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They also make lovely gifts! To gift, we recommend storing them in cupcake liners.
Next time you have a few free hours and are craving something sweet and delicious, give these matcha hot chocolate bombs a try. We promise you won’t regret it! You can even experiment with different matcha flavors. Our chocolate matcha or vanilla matcha powder would be delicious. Get creative, have some fun and don’t be intimidated by this easy and fun recipe.