Matcha puppy chow is the throwback to our childhoods we didn’t know we needed… just with a slight adult twist. Puppy chow, or muddy buddies, as they are sometimes called, is a popular snack or dessert recipe made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and then coated in powdered sugar. Timeless and adaptable, matcha puppy chow is the epitome of crowd-pleasing indulgence.
Adding matcha to this enduring recipe transforms this childhood classic into a flavorful treat for our adult palates. While we would call this treat more of an indulgence, adding matcha does provide a powerful boost of antioxidants and other health benefits.
This is an easy recipe that can be made in under 10 minutes. It also happens to make for a perfect indoor activity for kids.
This is a drama free recipe... except for maybe what you call it. Some say this is “puppy chow” while others may call it “muddy buddies”, “monkey munch” or “reindeer chow”. No matter what you may call it, we can all agree that it’s delicious.
Tips and Tricks
- Stirring the powdered sugar over the Chex mix can be kind of a pain. One tip for making this a bit easier is to put the cereal mixture in a large paper bag, pour the powdered sugar on top, then vigorously shake the bag.
- You don’t need to use all of the powdered sugar. Taste, then adjust as needed.
- Sift the matcha before adding to the peanut butter mixture and powdered sugar to avoid clumps. We recommend a higher grade matcha here since it won’t be heated. Try our Daily Ritual Ceremonial Matcha or Ceremonial Grade Matcha.
- Make ahead and freeze. You can place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Get creative and add in toppings! We’d suggest Reeses pieces, mini chocolate chips, peanut butter cups, M&M’s or any other small candy you enjoy!
- Try not to overheat your chocolate. If it does get too hot, let it cool down for a minute before adding in the vanilla.
12-oz bag of white chocolate chips
12-oz box of Rice Chex Cereal
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 tsp matcha powder + 2 tbsp matcha powder
1 1-lb bag powdered sugar
- Place cereal in a very large bowl and set aside.
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a bowl. Microwave for 60 seconds and stir until smooth. If chocolate chips haven’t melted fully, microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Stir in vanilla extract and 2 tsp sifted matcha powder.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and gently stir with a spatula. Don’t overmix, chunks are welcome, but we want all cereal coated in chocolate.
- Pour powdered sugar into a large bowl and add 2 tbsp of matcha powder. Stir to combine. Pour powdered sugar over cereal mixture. Use as much or as little as you’d like. Gently stir to combine.
Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container. Your puppy chow can be enjoyed and stay fresh for up to two weeks.
Matcha puppy chow is a timeless recipe perfect for children and adults alike. Whether you’re looking for a nostalgic treat or need something to bring to a gathering, this recipe has you covered. In under 10 minutes you can whip up this uncomplicated recipe, making it a perfect party snack when you don’t want to cook.