Yields: two loaves of matcha streusel pumpkin bread
Preparation time: 20 Minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
This pumpkin bread topped with matcha streusel hits all the marks. It’s delicious, beautiful, and easy to make. This delectable pumpkin bread with matcha truly is a dream- it’s fluffy, soft, moist, and perfectly spiced. With a decadent and crumbly matcha streusel on top, what more could you ask for from this matcha streusel pumpkin bread recipe?
Matcha and pumpkin: a flavor duo that bakes up joy with every bite
Combining pumpkin flavor with matcha is like having a cup of matcha tea embedded in your slice of pumpkin bread. The matcha green tea powder’s earthy and mellow grassy notes perfectly balance the sweet pumpkin spices –- and adds an extra healthy twist to a classic pumpkin bread recipe. Matcha is a form of powdered green tea known for its incredible health benefits.
Plus, the contrast in colors in this matcha streusel pumpkin bread is out of this world!
A pumpkin bread with matcha recipe that can help support mental health this season
Our matcha and pumpkin bread recipe adds an extra boost to your mental health during the darker winter months. Multiple studies have shown matcha powder may help combat depression by triggering dopamine networks in the brain and offering a robust nutritional boost of key vitamins and trace minerals that may help address dietary deficiencies often connected to feeling down.
This pumpkin bread with a crumbly matcha powder top will be a sure favorite throughout the fall and winter seasons, helping you beat any case of the winter blues with the green goodness of matcha green tea powder.
Top reasons why we love this matcha pumpkin bread:
- It takes less than 20 minutes to whip up
- Makes your house smell like a bakery
- Super moist and absolutely packed with flavor
- The colors are beautiful and make for a stunning breakfast or dessert
- It’s not overly sweet
- Contains one of our favorite ingredients- matcha!
Ingredients you will need for this matcha pumpkin bread recipe
For the matcha streusel:
- 2/3 cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup cold butter
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Two eggs
- One 15-oz can of pure pumpkin
- Optional: 1 ½ cups chocolate chip
Step-by-step directions for this recipe
Making the matcha streusel
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, matcha powder, cinnamon, and chopped nuts in a bowl.
- Add the butter, crumbling it into the dry ingredients. With your fingertips, mix and crumble until there are no more specks of dry flour. Small crumbs should form.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Making the pumpkin bread
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9X5 inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until just combined. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat until the batter is light and fluffy- a few minutes.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold just until combined. Optional: add 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- Evenly divide the batter into loaf pans. Evenly sprinkle chilled streusel on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pans. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Tips for this pumpkin bread matcha streusel recipe
- Make sure to use two bread loaf pans, or it won’t cook correctly.
- If you’re out of brown sugar, you can swap for white sugar in the streusel.
- Use culinary-grade matcha and sift it to prevent clumping.
- Look for a pumpkin puree that ONLY contains pumpkin.
- Don’t overbake! Keep a close eye on it so that it doesn’t dry out.
We know you will enjoy this wonderfully delicious matcha and pumpkin pairing. The matcha streusel works wonderfully with the naturally sweet and fluffy pumpkin bread.