We’ve gone ahead, and done the crazy…Have you ever thought of making matcha cookies, and stuffing a scoop of matcha ice cream in between two matcha cookies? Well, we’ve been dreaming of that for so long…we finally made it. Behold, the matcha ice cream sandwich!
Matcha So Good!
For the love of all things matcha and sweet, this is definitely on the top of the list of one of the crazier things we made in the kitchen this past year. I mean, just imagine it…two soft and chewy matcha chocolate chip cookies and a luscious scoop of homemade matcha ice cream. It sounds like heaven to me, and the recipe is so simple, you can definitely make it for yourself, your friends, and your family!
Matcha Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe & Ingredients
Yields: 4 sandwiches
Matcha Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients:
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream:
300g heavy cream
190g condensed milk
10g Matcha Kari green tea powder
Matcha White Chocolate Chip Cookies:
120g unsalted butter
60g white sugar
60g brown sugar
150g all purpose flour
10g Matcha Kari green tea powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
120g white chocolate chips/chunks
Matcha Ice Cream Recipe:
- Whip heavy cream and chill in the fridge.
- Combine condensed milk and matcha powder.
- Add the mixture over the chilled cream, and mix.
- Pour in a container, and freeze until set.
Matcha Cookie Recipe:
- Combine flour, matcha, baking soda, and salt.
- Lightly beat the room temperature butter.
- Add in the white and brown sugars into the butter, and mix well.
- Slowly incorporate the beaten egg in 4-5 additions.
- Add the dry ingredients into into the wet mixture, mix halfway, just until fully combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips into the batter.
- Scoop and transfer onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake at a pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes at 160C.
- Still fresh from the oven, scoot the cookies with a round cookie cutter to create a uniform shape for the sandwich base.
- Let the cookies cool completely.
- Place one scoop of the matcha ice cream between two matcha cookies.
- Gently press the cookies together to create the perfect matcha ice cream sandwich to bite into!
Making It Better and Healthier
Is this matcha ice cream sandwich good for you? Is this matcha ice cream sandwich healthy?
As delicious and decadent as this matcha dessert already sounds, there are some things that can make this recipe even better, or maybe even healthier.
To up the quality of this recipe, make sure to use our premium Japanese matcha green tea powder! We do recommend using our Culinary Grade Matcha. This works well with all our baked goods recipes. If you want to play around more with our matcha and flavors, you can also experiment with using one of our flavored matchas, why don’t you give our Vanilla Matcha or Chocolate Matcha a try with this recipe? This will definitely enhance the overall flavor profile of the matcha ice cream cookie sandwich!
To make this recipe healthier, for the matcha ice cream recipe, you can try using a full fat coconut milk and an unsweetened non-dairy milk for the heavy cream and condensed milk, respectively. Feel free to add in some maple syrup or vanilla extract to give it a touch of sweetness!
As for the cookie recipe, you can use a sugar substitute or reduce the amount of sugar used in the cookie recipe, but take note, this will affect the outcome of the cookie! Additionally, using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour can add more fiber to the recipe too.
Last but definitely not the least, we can’t forget the matcha health benefits! A little goes a long way, but with double the amount of matcha in this recipe, there’s even more reason to create this now. Matcha is healthy! It’s full of antioxidants and other healthful compounds. Matcha green tea is a clean, jitter-free energy source, improves skin health, can be incorporated into your daily ritual, and soooo much more! To see the full list of matcha tea benefits (33 and counting!), check out this link to find out more.
Does this matcha ice cream sandwich contain caffeine?
It’s also important to note that matcha does contain caffeine, albeit lower levels than coffee typically contains. So yes, matcha caffeine is good caffeine as it’s a smooth sailing energy source rather than one that makes you peak and crash instantly.
Similar Matcha Recipes
If you’re in the mood for more matcha cookies and more cool matcha treats, check out our other similar recipes too:
- Soft and Chewy Matcha Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Vegan Mint Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Creamy and Luscious Matcha Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Vegan Cashew Matcha Ice Cream
- Vegan and Dairy-free Matcha Popsicle with Coconut and Yuzu
There’s no such things as too much matcha on matcha on matcha! Here at Matcha.com, we encourage everyone to test the limits of what you can create with our well-love matcha. There are so many dishes to create and flavors to explore. More often than not, those recipes will come out daring and delicious, and we can’t wait to see what you can come up with. But in the meantime, try out this awesome matcha recipe first, because it is without a doubt, so easy, and so darn good!