Cozying up by the fireplace with hot chocolate in hand is one of our favorite holiday traditions. Adding a touch of hojicha to that hot chocolate elevates that simple and traditional drink to make it even better. We created a hojicha hazelnut hot chocolate drink for something decadent yet still traditional—the perfect holiday drink if you ask us!
What is hojicha? What does hojicha taste like?
Hojicha is a bit more uncommon, and you may or may not have heard of it before. Which is OK! Simply put, if you’ve had matcha before, you’ll understand hojicha.
Hojicha is essentially roasted matcha green tea powder, which gives it a brown coloring. The roasting process gives the tea a natural sweetness and rustic aroma. People looking for coffee alternatives tend to gravitate more towards hojicha than green tea because it has a similar flavor profile. It has a warm and familiar flavor with distinct notes of cocoa. Perfect for pairing with hot chocolate.
So, let’s create the perfect holiday drink with this delicious pairing!
Hojicha Hazelnut Hot Chocolate Ingredients:
- 3 tsp organic roasted hojicha powder
- 1 cup hot milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sweetened hazelnut cocoa spread
Hojicha Hazelnut Hot Chocolate Directions:
- Sift hojicha powder and unsweetened cocoa powder into a small bowl.
- Slowly pour in hot milk and whisk.
- Add the hazelnut spread and whisk again.
- Pour the mixture into a mug.
- Optional: Top with marshmallow. You can even torch them slightly for a more roasted flavor and feel.
- Serve, sip, and enjoy!
Do hojicha and chocolate go well together?
Hojicha makes delicious lattes and can also be fun to experiment with in baked goods. When it comes to flavor, hojicha and chocolate work perfectly.
The roasted, caramel-like flavors of hojicha blend well with the deep, intense taste of chocolate, resulting in a unique and delightful combination. The sweetness of the chocolate helps to highlight the subtle complexity of the hojicha, while the tea's roasted undertones add a layer of depth and warmth to the chocolate's flavor profile.
Tea lovers and chocolate lovers alike are sure to enjoy the symphony of flavors from hojicha and chocolate.
Tips and recommendations
To elevate this recipe, try it with our flavored chocolate matcha tea powder instead of the unsweetened cocoa powder. This will give you an even deeper flavor profile and a more unique sipping experience. All while getting the benefits of matcha green tea.
If you’re looking for more matcha and hojicha recipes to try out this holiday season, check out the ideas below:
- Hot Chocolate Matcha Latte Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie with Matcha Crust Recipe
- Christmas Sugar Cookies with Matcha Frosting Recipe
- Hojicha Pudding Recipe
- Matcha Streusel Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- The 6 Best Matcha Green Tea Cocktail Recipes
Still looking for the perfect holiday gift for your loved ones? Check out these matcha tea sets on our holiday gift guide.